Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Breaking Point

If you could change something about yourself, what would it be? Would you talk less? Talk more? Quit biting your nails? Pay more attention in class? You understand. Without drumming up any deep-seeded insecurities, I would like you to think of your most annoying habit and ways you could kick it to the curb perhaps once and for all.
I’ve started to consciously make an effort to get rid of my own bad habit, and I wonder how long it will take for me to be a completely changed person. Okay so that was drastic, but seriously. How long is long enough? If you stay on a corrective path for a certain amount of time, does it start to become the norm? If you decide to make a life change starting today, will you still be consciously making that change in 5 years? 10 years? Assuming you don’t give up of course, we aren’t quitters here.
It’s just… before I begin my journey of self alteration, I would like to know that there is – in fact - a finish line waiting for me; a feeling of accomplishment and success. It would be nice, you know.
Bad habits tend to follow us around like an annoying younger sibling (not that I know!) but the only difference is that we have the power to change this minor annoyance and make ourselves better, stronger and more positive people. No one wants a nail biting, fast talking, procrastinating friend. Where’s the good influence in that? So see if you can make small steps to a better person…. see ya at the finish line (or approaching finish line, that’s most likely where I’ll be).

No comments:

Post a Comment