Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Am I right or am i write?

I can’t figure out the link between happiness and productivity. I really, really can’t. Maybe you could give me some insight. I am so on the fence about this that I have fully analyzed both sides of the argument, and I am still unable to arrive at a conclusion.

On one hand, a dearth of productivity could signify extreme happiness. You are extremely at ease with yourself, your relationships and your jobs. You interact well with coworkers, take long, conversation-filled lunches and take off from work not a minute too soon to hit the gym and release more euphoria-inducing endorphins. Sounds like a great day, huh? Cut to the blinking cursor on your still white Word document. Did that fantastic day leave any time for you to produce real work? Doubtful. And if you think this day doesn’t apply to you, then it may not. The social life isn’t for everyone. But for those who feed off of the energy of others, never ending laughter and office camaraderie could leave a gaping whole in other places.

But that’s just One theory. Is there, on the converse, a distinct link between being out of ideas and out of serotonin? You can’t pay your bills on time, you feel like you’re out of shape, and worse – your friends haven’t been returning your calls…for weeks. So do you ho hum in to the office everyday eagerly anticipating getting to work? It doesn’t seem likely. It’s hard to pull yourself out of a rut to be innovative, creative and productive. But that’s just my opinion. And of course, outliers do exist.

I personally can’t make a decision. There are times when I am so happy and produce nothing … and there are times when I’m in a funk and produce about the same. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment