Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A New Age for New Media

As I near the end of my college career, I have started to notice a definite shift in my late-night online habits. Gone are the days of toggling back and forth between Gilt Group and Perez Hilton. I now find myself scanning job postings everywhere from LinkedIn to Journalism Jobs and beyond. Paychecks come at a heavy price these days, what can I say?
In a recent posting looking to hire a senior copywriter, I noticed in BIG, BOLD print that one can only apply if he has an online portfolio and/or blog site included in his application.
Ladies and gentlemen: the future has come and it arrived in the form of a Blog.
I guess you could say that a Blog is the cooler, newer version of an online portfolio. The kind that can do more, be more and sell more.
Professionals in the industry say that we in journalism and creative advertising are shifting to become more internet-based. I’m not here to say we are completely done with the move, but I think that post was one giant leap for all of us.
So I pose you this question…is a Blog the new online portfolio? Can we do away with websites containing only single dimension media?
In this age of convergence and multi, well, everything, is a Blog the most effective way to highlight our talents as a writer, webmaster and social media aficionado?
For now I think it is, but only until the next best thing comes along.

No comments:

Post a Comment