Friday, January 27, 2012

A New Kind of Sleep Cycle

      I’ll warn you. This post isn’t gonna be pretty – but like many of my others – it’s still I something I believe needs to be said.

     I had one of those nights last night, the ones where you wake up in the middle of the night and check the clock, hoping it’s only a few minutes to your alarm, but in the back of your mind you know it’s far, far too dark outside.

     6:35 a.m. Great. I had two choices. I could sit there and spend my idle time forcing myself back to sleep (we both know that wouldn’t go well), or I could use my wired state to think about the day ahead. Well, the day became the month, the month became the year. I was literally sitting in a dark room thinking, no, worrying about the coming months. Ugh… nothing good would come of this.

     So that’s when the idea for this post started to form in the corners of my mind. Here I was obsessing about something for which I had absolutely zero control. I was being too hard on myself, critical that I had taken a golden opportunity to plan (or really even sleep) and turned it into a pity party. And not the good kind. I’m talking the kind of party where you’re the guest with no certain future and no real job offer. Yet everyone somehow wants to know what YOU’RE doing after graduation.

     We all do that, you know. When our minds are too idle we’re prone to worry; we aim to control the uncontrollable. Like, if somehow we think about it enough the events will fall naturally into place like pieces of a puzzle.

     I challenge you to retrain your mind. I’m certainly going to try. I challenge you to dwell on the positive. Use those elusive early hours of the morning to get excited about the good things in your life.

     It took me a full 45 min for the fact that it’s a Friday to even cross my mind. I have one class today and the weekend will make itself known before 2pm. Yet here I was thinking about how I would probably have to work in July. Don’t say you haven’t been there.

     Everyone wants a challenge. Game on.

No comments:

Post a Comment