Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Art of The Sit-In

For as long as I can remember, the sit-in was a bad, bad, thing. From lonely time-out corners full of tears to stories of protesters invading a space to let their voices be heard, our society has been conditioned to believe that purposeful sitting must mean something is very wrong. If you don't believe me (and on the off chance you're in a Starbucks), take a look around. We've become a nation of over-caffeinated iPhone/Twitter/Facebook addicts that just can't seem to relax.

My penchant for analyzing the world around me has truly led me to this theory. We're afraid to sit still. No really, there is a legitimate fear that if we sat down, by ourselves, with no technology, the world would truly collapse. I'm not saying that I'm above it, of course. I am as plagued by this constant need to be active as the next person, but I wonder what would happen if I started to take a few minutes out of my day to just simply...be. And I'm not talking meditation style where you must "empty your mind" - because the 90% of us ADHDers know that ain't happening any time soon. But really, if you're in your 20s and you can't remember the last time you did something without your phone in your palm, look at this as a wake up call: I challenge you to sit with no motives.

"The monotony and solitude of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind." - Albert Einstein.

I'll leave you with this quote. If it seems just out of your reach to quiet your mind, know that the creativity within never dies. How's that for the ultimate multitask?

Happy Week Ahead,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment