Thursday, March 18, 2010

Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game

So, about this time last week I caved in and got an iPhone. Things were going great in the land of Apple until I discovered the free scrabble app Words With Friends. (never heard of it? Good. Keep it that way). I don’t think ive been this addicted to gaming since summer camp and the card game war. Those were the days.

So WWF comes into my life and its safe to say for the past week I’ve been on a word frenzy flipping from one game to the next, checking and rechecking for the coveted free letter tile and prime triple letter spot. Until I realized something.

Im not that good. I mean, I know my English, please – im a writer. but something about the word placement and the making things fit and the stress of the solo q gets me every time.

On the flip side, I have an opponent, well call him Jim*(names have been changed to protect the privacy of the scrabble prodigies). Jim has talent. Jim can play and see the board through eyes that I just cant. Funny thing is, you would never know. Seriously, never. He isn’t the most eloquent speaker, hes not majoring in English or Comparative Lit, and he spends most of his time on the bball court. Makes you wonder right?

How many people are walking around right now with hidden talents that the world will never discover? How many of us haven’t even unlocked our own potential for domination? Okay – ill slow my roll. But it makes sense. As soon as we think we need to be one type of person, we tend to shut down the other parts of us because of a lack of interest or previous failures. If Jim wasn’t seriously urged by his friends to download the free app, would he have ever realized his scrabble potential? Who knows?

I just wrote my longest entry about a game on the iPhone. Embarrasing? Probably. Technologically advanced? D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y. (10 points!)

No comments:

Post a Comment