Saturday, April 17, 2010

Especially K

I had an encounter yesterday. With a cereal box. Yes, you heard me correctly. I woke up and rushed around frantically, trying to cram a 30-minute morning routine into a 10-minute time slot.

Downstairs I went, completely committing myself to the notion that I would be eating my special k in a Ziploc bag on the bus. There’s college life for ya.

That’s when it happened. Since I was one of the last girls to breakfast, I was undoubtedly not the first to notice the HUGE, unmistakable, glaring error of the cereals. You know that clear plastic gizmo people use to pour cereal because of the grip it provides and the nice open top for maximum pouring ease? Well our house so kindly provided us with one for each and every cereal. Thank you house.

The Special K lid was on the wrong way, so when you go to grip the cereal and pour into your chose apparatus (99% bowls, 1% Ziploc) the hole for the cereal is on the wrong side. Still following me? Good.

It took me less than a minute to switch the lid to the proper side, but the most upsetting thought was that 30 girls before me that morning probably noticed the same thing I did and didn’t do a thing about it. Preposterous? Maybe. Insensitive? Maybe. Lazy. Of course.

So it got the brain wheels turning. How many times do we notice something wrong with the world that would take us LITERALLY 2 seconds to fix but yet we don’t think we have the time in our day nor the motivation to make a change?

Well maybe my morning routine went from 10 to 11 minutes, but I left the house knowing that next time a hungry girl goes to grab the Special K, she will comfortably pick it up and it will come out of the right side. One small step for her, one giant leap for hungry girls everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment